Here's what we are demanding:
1. Immediate extension and expansion of access to jobless benefits for the duration of this unemployment crisis (including COBRA or Medicaid and food assistance.)
2. Immediate federal financial assistance to states like Illinois to prevent further layoffs and service cuts, precisely when the need is the greatest in our communities.
3. Federal spending on direct job creation for improving and enhancing our public infrastructure: mass transit, schools, roads and more.
4. Federal investment in green technology, manufacturing and energy conservation.
5. Paying for it all by taxing the individuals and practices on Wall Street that created this recession so we can begin to balance the books, place the tax burden where it belongs and discourage reckless and excessive speculation.
We conduct a monthly action responding to the Labor Department's monthly report on job creation on the first Friday of every month. These reports show the need to create a real, large scale, public works jobs program. We meet up at the State of Illinois Building at Randolph and Clark (100 W. Randolph). Then we march on a corporate target and demand that they pay their fair share so we can put the millions of unemployed back to work!
Join us! Sign up for our action alerts to receive messages about our upcoming events.